Server TeamSpeak

Serverlist

IP: 185.248.141.145:9001

Forums
Forum
Main forum Forum: General Thread: History: The martyr village of Oradour-sur-Glane
History: The martyr village of Oradour-sur-Glane Site: « 1 »
#1 at 09.02.2022 on 11:46h Quote this entry
Jakub
Führungsoffizier
Hello gentlemen,

I wanted to show you through my own photos the story of the village of Oradour-sur-Glane, located in the center of France, which suffered a real massacre by the Germans during the Second World War.

I want to clarify first of all that this is just for your culture, that post isn't made to denigrate the Germans. It's part of the story, we can't change anything.

Here is what happened on June 10, 1944 in the early afternoon:

"Following the Landings of June 6, 1944, the German army wanted to get rid of the threat that the presence of resistance fighters behind the front seemed to represent at the time. A terror operation with the objective of €serving as an example€ was then developed.

On June 8, 1944, the 2nd Armored Division of the Das Reich was ordered to join the Normandy front, with a start-up on June 11, 1944 at the latest. On June 9, the troops arrived in Limoges. A brutal takeover of "the situation in the area€ was then advocated by SS General Heinz Lammerding. However, the village of Oradour-sur-Glane is not one of the areas where resistance is active in Haute-Vienne. So why was this village targeted by the German army?

(the main street of Oradour-sur-Glane)

Several explanations have been put forward. One of them being that the Nazis would have taken the wrong village, confusing Oradour-sur-Glane with Oradour-sur-Vayres, a town located in the resistance zone. But it is now proven that the choice of Oradour-sur-Glane was deliberate, assures us the Oradour-sur-Glane Memory Center.

The German army would then have tried to justify its crime by pretexting the kidnapping of SS officers by the resistance, as well as by the presence of weapons in the village. But what history retains rather is the will of the SS to sow terror and to keep the population at bay, in order to dissuade anyone from rebelling. The Oradour-sur-Glane massacre also served as an initiation into Nazi conceptions and practices, but also as a "baptism of fire€ for the very young recruits of the Das Reich division.

(English video to learn more about it)

At the end of this afternoon of June 10, 1944, all that remains of Oradour-sur-Glane is rubble, and a few survivors (7). After having been accommodated here and there, the latter are then relocated to a temporary village, made of wooden huts, not far from what remains of the village. In early 1945, an urban planning project was finally put in place. In 1947, the architect-urban planner Charles Dorian was appointed by the Ministry of Reconstruction and Urban Planning to carry out a reconstruction project. On June 10, 1947, Vincent Auriol, then President of the Republic, symbolically laid the first stone of this new town.

Inaugurated on July 16, 1999 by the former President of the Republic Jacques Chirac, Catherine Trautmann, then Minister of Culture, and Roland Ries, then Mayor of Strasbourgs, the Oradour Memory Center is today a French ghost town. and above all a place of memory. It offers its visitors a permanent exhibition, retracing the course of this tragedy, so that history will never be forgotten."

> Link of the photos I took two weeks ago <

last edited by Jakub at 09.02.2022 12:13h 
IP saved
#2 at 10.02.2022 on 12:42h Quote this entry
Karl
Führungsstab
Hello,

Nice post and photos by the way. I already had the chance to read and see some documentaries about this subject.

I want to take the opportunity to say that this is just for your culture, this reply isn't made to denigrate the RAF bomber command. It's also part of history and we can't change anything.

The three-day punishment on the German city of Dresden in the final moments of the war ( February 1945 ) became the most controversial Allied actions in the war. The 800-bomber raid dropped some 2,700 tons of explosives and incendiaries and decimated the German city.
By the end of those three days, of the Allied attack, the German city had been leveled and tens of thousands were dead.

We have this map avaiable at our server and perhaps can be good idea if we could play it more often.

last edited by Karl at 10.02.2022 12:52h 
IP saved
#3 at 10.02.2022 on 23:56h Quote this entry
Wolfgang
Unteroffizier
Many innocent people lost everything in this war. I have many family relatives from that time that dissapeared completley without a trace while fighting on the Eastern Front. I pray we never see conditions of that nature ever again; The worst of humanity is war.

IP saved
Site: « 1 »

Userarea    English Deutsch

Events

Calendar

Counter

Last reg. user